Keyboard shortcuts are a great way to boost your productivity in Revit. And if you are someone who is used to working with keyboard shortcuts in CAD, this feature is going to make your life much easier in REVIT environment.
Pre-Defined Keyboard Shortcuts
Pre-defined keyboard shortcuts are displayed on the tooltip when you hover over the tool in the ribbon. For example,
If a tool has multiple shortcuts, only the first shortcut displays in the tooltip. If you would like to know all the default keyboard shortcuts pre-defined in REVIT, please download one of the following documents:
- PDF file: Default keyboard shortcuts
- XLS file: Spreadsheet containing default keyboard shortcuts
- XLS file: Spreadsheet containing common keyboard shortcuts
Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
To add a custom keyboard shortcut to a tool, please use the following procedure:
- Go to View tab -> Windows panel -> User Interface drop-down -> Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Alternatively, use “KS” as the shortcut to open the menu
- In the keyboard shortcut menu, search for the tool for which you would like to add a shortcut.
- Let’s say we want to add a shortcut to the tool “Roof by Footprint”. Search for this in the search box to locate it in the list.
- Under the “Press New Keys”, type the shortcut you would like to use for this tool and then click on ASSIGN to assign it.
- Let’s say, we type “RF” for the Roof by Footprint tool.
- The shortcut is now listed besides the name of the command, under the shortcut column. Click OK.
Now, next time when you hover over the tool in the ribbon, the tooltip will display the shortcut that you have created.
Rules for Keyboard Shortcut
- A keyboard shortcut can consist of up to 5 unique alphanumeric keys.
- You can specify a keyboard shortcut that uses Ctrl, Shift, and Alt with a single alphanumeric key. For example, if you press Control and Shift and D, it displays as Ctrl+Shift+D.
- If a keyboard shortcut includes Alt, it must also include Ctrl and/or Shift.
- You cannot assign reserved keys.
- You can specify multiple keyboard shortcuts for each tool.
- You can assign the same keyboard shortcut to multiple tools. To select the desired tool when you execute the shortcut, use the status bar.